Here’s a video showing the space-to-surface transition, as well as the tank driving around a bit. I’m pretty happy with how it looks, but there are a lot of things that still need to be fixed:
- Seams on neighboring nodes when they’re at a different level of detail.
- Lighting on node edges is wrong since the normal map generation isn’t currently taking into account neighboring height values, resulting in very visible node edges.
- Need to add some noise to the texture generation so the transitions are less obvious. This should also help minimize the repeating patterns.
- Normals are too “strong” at high altitudes. I think I need to change the normal strength based on the quad tree level.
- Need to add morphing between LOD changes to eliminate popping.
I think those changes will improve things quite a bit. But first I’m going to plug the atmospheric scattering shader back in. I’m currently using Sean O’Neil’s method, and that’s what I’m going to add back for now. But I’m not really happy with it and plan to give Precomputed Atmospheric Scattering a go.
So, here’s the video…